The OVO Mobile Australian Waterpolo League round eight, pride and diversity round, action has wrapped up after three days of action spanning two... [more]
Water Polo Australia is the national governing body for the sport of water polo in Australia. It is charged with the development and education of water polo players, officials, coaches and volunteers throughout Australia and with the conduct of competitions and championships for all levels of participation.
Nationwide competitions are conducted in the National League for both men and women, 20 & Under for Junior Men and Junior Women, 18 & Under Championships, 16 & Under Club Championships for Youth boys and girls and 14 & Under Club categories.
The sport is governed by a conference of all states and territories which elect five Directors to the WPAL Board. In addition to these five Directors, there are two nominated Directors by Commissions, namely the Athletes Commission and the Referee’s Commission. The executive directs the day-to-day activities of the association through a National Office based in Sydney.
“To facilitate and nurture the sport of water polo for the enjoyment of all levels of participation.”
“Water Polo Australia will be recognised and accepted as a successful major sporting organisation both in Australia and internationally through its astute and planned management, the performance of international teams and the delivery of water polo at all levels.”
- working to ensure equity in access to water polo, taking into consideration gender, age, ability and geographical location
- encouraging and recognising the achievement of excellence in water polo
- communicating with members and fostering the involvement of stakeholders in the organisation and development of the future of water polo
- representing the interests of water polo to various government, and other agencies, significant to the development of water polo
- accountability for financial and organisational management of water polo at the national level
- provision of the highest standard of coaching and officiating at all levels
- adoption and application of best practice in the management of water polo as a business and in elite sports development showing respect to all those involved in water polo, and all those involved in water polo to each other making water polo an enjoyable experience for all those involved in the sport, no matter in what capacity.
President: Mr Phil Garling
Directors: Mr David Martin, Mr Stephen Blunt , Mr Phil Scales, Mr Daniel Bartels, Mr Thomas Whalan
Athletes Commission Chair: Miss Jane Moran
Appointed Director: Ms Kathy Ostin
A Message from the President
Our purpose is to grow the sport of water polo at all levels, increasing participation and achieving sustainable success at the elite level. To achieve this, we’re working alongside our water polo community to develop a unified national plan – a new initiative for Water Polo in Australia. It will benefit participants at all levels across all codes, and guide water polo forward to greater success.
The Towards 2020 Strategic Plan is focused on further developing and consolidating the key building blocks of our sport. The plan is ambitious in the amount of significant pieces of work we want to deliver over the next four years but we believe it is achievable with the assistance of resources from our member states and territories. In delivering this plan we believe we will meet the Purpose and the Vision as stated and continue to grow the sport of Water Polo in Australia.
WPA looks forward to your support in continuing to grow water polo at every level.
Water polo Australia 2014-2018 Strategic Plan can be viewed by clicking here